Hair transplantation is a type of surgery that moves hair follicles from one part of the scalp you already have to fill the bald part of the scalp. So the question is how long does it take for hair grafts to set after a hair transplant and how fast does hair grow after hair transplant surgery?
Hair transplant surgery is not like other cosmetic operations, it takes time for the hair to grow, thicken, and fully mature after transplantation.
How Long Does It Take for Grafts to Set Inside the Scalp After Hair Transplant Surgery?
Most patients hurry to see the results of a hair transplant or other different types of cosmetic surgery. So, the question of how long does it take for hair grafts to set after a hair transplant is among the common and most frequently asked questions, due to misconceptions and beliefs about this cosmetic procedure, most notably that this process – that is, hair transplantation – achieves immediate results.
Hair transplantation is the best hair loss treatment for men and even women. Doctors suggest that it takes some patience after hair transplant surgery because the results of that process go through several stages and thus appear in the long term.
Several factors also control the quality of the results achieved through this procedure, so it is necessary to be familiar with the group of contraband after hair transplant, as well as how to care for the hair and scalp in that critical period.
What to Expect After a Hair Transplant?
The history of plastic surgery witnessed several developments in the technical aspect, which led to the diversity of techniques used in hair transplantation today, such as the FUT technique, the FUE technique, in addition to the stem cell technique, and others.
However, no matter how different the medical technology is, the growth stages of the transplanted hair remain constant, which means that it is necessary to wait for a period – not short – after hair transplantation to notice the difference.
After surgery, the areas where the hair follicles were harvested and the areas where they were transferred will likely be somewhat tender. Aside from the hair follicles, your natural hair may also experience temporary hair loss.
The results of hair transplantation can be initially evaluated after 6 months, while the final results of this cosmetic procedure do not appear until after a full year has passed.
Noting that this time period is approximate only and varies with increase and decrease from one person to another depending on a set of individual factors, the most prominent of which are the following:
- The general health of the patient and the extent of his body’s response to the hair transplantation procedure.
- Recovery speed varies depending on the location of the treated area of the scalp.
- The degree of follicle qualities that were replanted in the affected areas.
- The extent of commitment to take vitamins after hair transplantation and the availability of the necessary health care services.
The Stages of Transplanted Hair Growth
Among the different types of hair transplant techniques, there is one type that achieves almost instant results, which is artificial hair implant (Biofiber). While all natural hair transplant surgeries require waiting until the completion of the implanted hair growth stages, which is one of the slowest vital body processes and can be divided into three main stages as follows:
- The stage of dormancy, which lasts the first three or four months after the surgery
- The stage of development starts from the fourth month to the eighth month approximately
- The stage of final thickening and it takes about a year to reach it – on average
It is worth noting that previous hair transplant experiences recorded high success rates and proved that the results achieved through this operation have become almost guaranteed. Although the appearance of the final results takes long periods of time, which may exceed a year for some cases, it is very satisfactory.
How Much Time Does It Take for Hair Grafts to Set After a Hair Transplant?
We get to the most important questions that occupy the minds of many, which is when will hair grafts be set after hair transplantation and when can the results achieved through this operation be evaluated?
The first ten days after a hair transplant represent the most critical period, during which the patient suffers from the side effects of the operation, foremost of which are swelling and redness of the skin, in addition to the appearance of dandruff, which is one of the indications that the scalp has begun to deal with the recently transplanted hair.
If you want a specific answer to the question of when the hair grafts will be fixed after hair transplantation, it can be said that this is done during the second or third week after the procedure, but usually, during that period an unexpected thing happens, which is the fall of the newly transplanted hair. Although this is shocking to many, experts in the field of hair transplant say that it is expected and is not considered an indication of the failure of the operation or the presence of a medical error of any kind.
Hair loss is one of the natural stages after hair transplant surgery because it is essentially temporary hair, and the purpose behind transferring it from the donor area to the treated area is to implant the follicles into the scalp.
Accordingly, it must fall off after the follicles are fixed in their new position to grow again and go through various stages to reach the stage of maturity.
Hair Transplant Results After 6 Months
Some people confuse my question: how long does it take for hair grafts to set after hair transplant surgery and when the results of hair transplantation appear. But in fact, there is a vast difference between this and that, given that the stability of the follicles in the areas in which they are implanted is done relatively early, as we mentioned previously. While the results do not appear until those follicles go through the usual growth phases and begin to germinate again, which takes long periods estimated at about a full year in most cases and may reach 18 months in other cases, in general, the results of hair transplantation can be evaluated after 6 months of the operation.
Experts in the field of plastic surgery agree that the results of hair transplant after 6 months are more clear, through which the process can be evaluated and the extent of its success. As it is assumed that all follicles have entered the stage of noticeable growth by that period, the hair becomes longer, thicker and stronger than before.
Evaluating the results of hair transplant after 6 months is very important and it is recommended to consult a specialist at that stage, in order to introduce you to the appropriate ways to enhance the quality of results through a group of vitamins after hair transplantation and appropriate care products or to work to support hair health in case of any deficiencies or weaknesses.
What Medications or Vitamins to Take After Hair Transplant?
A hair transplant represents the perfect solution to many intractable problems, most notably the treatment of genetic hair loss, hereditary pattern baldness and hair fall in women, but it must be acknowledged that the cosmetic procedure is just the beginning. The quality of the results achieved through it is controlled by many other factors, foremost of which is the extent to which the hair is provided with the necessary care and health support by vitamins after hair transplantation and other treatments.
The group of supplements, foremost of which are hair vitamins – such as vitamins B6, B9, B12 – plays a pivotal role in stimulating the process of hair growth and helps to grow it in a healthy and sound manner, thus significantly enhancing the results achieved through the hair transplant process. So, it is always recommended by the dermatologist surgeon or attending physician, along with a group of other medicines and preparations, such as:
- Pain relievers during the first weeks
- Hair growth stimulants
- Safe, medicated shampoo free of sulfates and harsh substances.
DOs and DON’Ts After Hair Transplant Surgery
After answering the question of How Fast Does Hair Grow After Hair Transplant Surgery? it must be noted that there are some important after hair transplant care instructions that experts advise to follow – especially during the first weeks – to complete this stage properly. In addition to obtaining satisfactory final results, at the same time, reducing the risk of any side effects or possible complications from hair transplantation.
- Take nutrients as recommended by experts and check your vitamin and mineral levels.
- Be sure about your hairstylist. Try to use silicone-based items to reduce the amount of damage to your new hair.
- Sleep with your head elevated for the first seven days or as long as you feel bloated.
- Keep swelling and irritation to a minimum and keep the newly grafted area moist.
- Wash your hair very gently for the first 5 days. Don’t rub too much and don’t press the stream of water directly onto your scalp.
- Treat folliculitis represented by blisters and ulcers that may appear in the second month.
- Do not engage in any activities that may cause you to sweat excessively. So, avoid vigorous exercise after hair transplant surgery.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight other than for short periods of time during the first two weeks.
- Don’t dye your hair for four weeks after your procedure.
- Avoid washing the scalp during the first two weeks after the procedure.
- Avoid exposure to any tension or stress during the first weeks.
- Do not drink alcohol completely during the first weeks.
- Do not smoke for a month after surgery. Quitting smoking completely would be the best course of action if you haven’t done so before.
- Do not wear any ball caps or hats for the first three days. During this period, it is best to prevent anything from touching your head.
- Refrain from using any harsh chemical products like dyes, sulfate-containing shampoos, etc.
Hair transplant surgery is a very effective procedure to treat hair loss and grow hair faster. It is minimally invasive and can have a very positive impact on your life.
I hope you understand How Fast Does Hair Grow After Hair Transplant Surgery? and how it helps you get the most out of your hair restoration. If you have any queries about hair transplantation, feel free to ask in the comments section.